The centerpiece of the restoration has been the redevelopment of the historical pavilion. Originally constructed in 1925, this unique log post and beam building was found to be in danger of collapsing within the next 3 to 5 years.
At the start of the construction program it was the intention that the floor of one of the three rooms would be replaced and minor repairs made to the foundations of the other two rooms. Once construction commenced it was found that the centre floor slab had dropped and was hollow underneath due to improper drainage. It was also found that two fifths of all of the supporting posts were rotted out, and that the foundations under the third room were no longer properly supporting the structure.
At the outset of construction it was found that the entire interior was contaminated with lead dust and that both the interior and exterior walls had been painted with lead based material. This discovery lead to both the cleaning of the interior and the removal of all of the original shiplap siding. New shiplap siding was installed on both sides of new stud walls placed on the inside of the exterior log structure. An insulated vapour barrier was also installed within the new walls. All windows were replaced with unbreakable material and some original windows were re-created where they had been walled over. The entire exterior was coated with a natural finish in the style of the 1930's rather than green or brown paint of the 50's through 90's.
All three floors were rebuilt, with the outside two rooms done in hardwood and the centre room poured concrete. A new concession and office was constructed in the centre room. An interpretive centre has been installed in the centre Exhibit Hall.
In addition a concept design for a Great Lakes Heritage Coast display has been completed.
The entire building was rewired and alarm systems for intruders and fire installed. A dry fire suppression system was installed throughout as a means of protecting this historical yet relatively remote structure.
The original budget for the pavilion was $400,000. The final cost is in the range of $1,400,000.